Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yields: 4 people
2 cups water
Pinch sea salt
1 bunch of kale
- Put water, salt and a steamer basket in a medium-size pot and heat on high.
- Wash kale.
- Remove leaves from stems and cut or tear leaves in any size you like. Chop the stems into 1/2-inch pieces, discarding the bottom as it tends to be tough.
- When the water is boiling, add the stems to the pot, cover and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the leaves, cover, lower the heat and steam for another 2-4 minutes. Leaves should be wilted, yet bright green.
- Carefully remove the steamer basket and transfer kale to a serving dish.
- Enjoy the kale plain, or add a little tamari or lemon juice.
- Try this same technique with collard greens, bok choy and mustard greens.
Source: Institute of Integrative Nutrition New York